Sunday, April 12, 2009

EYES WIDE SHUT




I have been walking that hedgerow everyday, and I missed them entirely. True, there are many of them still closed up as they push through the ground, but just as many are unfurled. How could I have been so blind not to see the Mayapples, large swaths of them. On close inspection the basal leaves of the Spring Beauties as well as the mottled leaves of the Dog Tooth Violets are also sprouting.
On the eastern edge of the farm along the woods, the Serviceberries are in full bloom. Their white blossoms stand as a stark contrast to the still bare hardwoods.
The day is bright and sunny, as opposed to the constant rain and grey of yesterday, but the price is a drop in temperature. If I dress warm and find a protected place to work I should make progress on the mulching of the east gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment