Sunday, April 26, 2009

ZERO TO NINTY IN 60 SECONDS


We had spring on Friday, summer followed on Saturday. The spring buds are not even open yet and they are being subjected to 90 degree heat.
The landscape of the mornings has changed. Instead of the walk around the edge, we all set off at 6 AM for the river, I'm driving the truck, Jake and Zoƫ trot along beside. My shell, the Mary Nicole, is atop the rack, and as I approach the river I see the mirrored surface waiting to take the boat. These are the carefree, warm mornings, where the river is a gift full of osprey, eagle, heron and peace. The fish jump, sometimes thumping the bottom of the boat or the oar. It is in this early morning light on the glassy water sometimes covered in mist that I have the world to myself.
There is the exuberant greeting as I am spotted coming up from the bridge, running, barking, jumping. Time to return to the dock, dogs, house and the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment