Friday, July 5, 2013

FOURTH

The 4th of July came and went, peacefully around the farm.  There were chores to take care of, and then an annual party to attend on a farm on the bay. At home, we could hear and see distant fireworks of the celebrations taking place around the county.  All and all it was a relaxed, but hot summer day.  The corn is tasseling(on other farms, not here yet), our soy beans have broken ground, the alfalfa, responding to the rain we have received, is already back up from the last cutting, and the garden is still abundant.  There is a trend towards less moisture for the coming week or so.  We will see.
The  twin eagles have been out in the field playing some sort of tag.  I have seen this behavior in others that have matured on this farm before these two, wish I knew the end game.
The wind has been kicking up early, making rowing a poor choice, the afternoons as well have had winds, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps things will die down today and I will get a sunset row in.  I am really wanting to be out on the water, and if it does not calm down I will have to go out on a rough ride in the morning, searching for the calm water that might exist in a protected spot on the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment