Thursday, July 25, 2013

BUMPS AND BITES

Working in the Garden is not all fun and games.  There are many adverse events that take place.  Hazards.  The mosquito bites that make you itch like crazy, particularly about your ankles and shins.  Then there are the wasps nests that you inadvertently knock when you are reaching into a plant for pruning.  This happened twice this week and gloves are no impediment to the bite. This is a major problem starting now and going into the fall.  There is the occasional bee that takes offense and the biting flies. No, it is certainly not all beautiful flowers and butterflies.  Just this week I had a nasty encounter with a saddleback caterpillar.  In fact several of them, living in a group on the Rudbeckia maxima.  I was pruning and felt a little sting which did not stop me, but soon my whole arm was on fire and I was feeling a little nauseated.  Yes this little, less than 1/2 inch, caterpillars did a lot of damage.  I iced my arm and recovered, but not a lot of fun.  If you add in the scratches, bumping you head because your hat obstructs your upward field of vision, and the sunburn,  well it is downright dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment