Friday, April 26, 2013

WALKING

The morning walks take different forms, thinking and sauntering, brisk and purposeful,  interval training, and the observational stop and go walk like the one I took this morning.  It was gorgeous this morning, which led to all sorts of looking.
First, I was able to confirm that there is at least twin eaglets in the nest by the river.  There could be the rare triplet breeding, and I just saw two, but I am sticking to the belief that we will see only two fledge from this years pairing.  One little one was sitting up high on the wall of the nest revealing almost the entire body, the other was tucked down further in the nest so that just the neck and head were revealed. It is so nice to have the nest located where I can observe without breeching the interior of the woods and bringing alarm screeches from the parents.
Off we went, continuing along the river stopping briefly to watch a pair of Herons vying for territory,  as if the river wasn't big enough for all.
Rounding the corner starting up the west hedgerow, we and I mean all of us, were starteled by a Turkey, hidden in the alfalfa suddenly launching itself into the air.  Zoe and Parker hardly knew what to do, and I let out a little scream.  We recovered and were off again.
A very faint noise came up from the glen where the creek runs, slight, but Parker and I heard it.  Then nothing.  Parker, soon bored and distracted,  ran off to join Zoe who was checking out some scent in the grass, I moved closer to edge, and stood for a moment, on the far side of the ravine a doe emerged and ran fast away.  The other two members of the walking party were oblivious to the occurrence.
At the upper end of the walk along the gully before we turned towards the lane, I could not help but stop and hunt the tree tops for a sign of the Bobolinks.  Two years ago a very large flock joined the Red Wings dipping and diving over the fields, taking refuge in the tree tops, then spreading out over the fields again.  So far there is no sign of these colorful little birds joining in the arial display.
Just about home, a little bird sat above me in the ginkgo tree singing.  I know that song.  Looking up I spotted him right away.  He was hard to miss with the sun shinning on his under belly and chest, turning it almost crimson, the male Orchard Orioles have arrived.  There will soon be great chases at fast speeds through the back yard trees as the males fight for territory and the attention of their mates.
Almost home, but one quick look in the Robin's nest by the garage, a forth blue egg has been added to the nest tucked in the spruce tree.  I will be able to watch the progress in the easily accessible cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment