Friday, May 10, 2013

AND ANOTHER

The start of the walk was later than usual, grass still wet from the condensation, but the sun was high on the eastern horizon.  It was, however, a very event filled walk.
The first sightings came just as the path jogs  right heading to the river.  High in the Sycamore tree was an unfamiliar profile, training my glasses on it, I could see a male Blue Grosbeak, just as he came into focus, 2 more flew in and landed close by.  Really one of my favorite birds.  They nest in the under brush close to the house, but are elusive.  The female is evident, but I seldom get to see the male.
All was quiet at the eagles nest.  The young must be oh so bored, waiting patiently for their parents to bring them food and otherwise having not much else to do, or can birds get  bored?
Parker grabbed a baby Killdeer out of the grass, but lucky for that little bird, he listened to my command to "drop it", this time.
On we went, listening to the sounds from deep within the glen. Half way up the hedgerow, there was flittering movements high in a sparsely leafed oak.  My identification skills for warblers is not finely honed, but my best guess is it was a bouquet of Common Yellowthroats.  There was so much activity, and then slowly it became less so,  then nothing, they had all moved on.
Zoe, Parker and I walked on towards home, reaching the road leading to the house. I saw some birds on the ground up ahead, thinking them to be killdeer or perhaps swallows.  Some of them flew up to the top of the tree and something caught my eye.   Could it possibly be that the Bobolinks that I had been waiting for all spring had return?  Yes it was true, I watched as they passed from the tree out over the alfalfa, and back again.  Those that remained in the trees, flew forward on mass to the next ginkgo, and the next, marching slowly down the drive as the three of us walked towards them, finally leaving the trees to fly off over the fields as well.
Home just in time to help Frank hook up the large field cultivator to the tractor.
The day has now officially started.

No comments:

Post a Comment