Saturday, May 2, 2009

FIRSTS


A single Eastern Tiger Swallowtail and two male Orchard Orioles, appeared in the garden yesterday. First sighting this year.
There is a new Robin's nest being built in the cherry tree, right next to the deck, this is the replacement for the nest that was abandoned on the deck chair. I fear too much activity prompted them to start over somewhere safer, after laying 4 eggs and starting the incubation for about a week. Not so for the steadfast little Killdeer. They continue to use every tool to protect their eggs. I am the usual target, but Jake and Zoe also hear the wrath if they venture to close.
There are lots of buds forming in the garden, iris, peony, blue eyed grass, and Bay Leaf Magnolia. The best of all is the beginnings of a bud on my Gladiolus segetum. I planted this 3 years ago, with the caveat that is would need time to mature before it bloomed. It took its own sweet time growing up, and risk being destroyed by mistake every year if I forgot it was there. I have three, but only one is showing signs of a bloom. It better be glorious after all this time. The other bloomer this year (4 years in the making) is my Pseudocydonia sinensis(Chinese Quince).
I have received some of the plants that I ordered on line during the dark winter days when the garden seemed just dead. It is with great excitement and expectation that I unwrap and catalog each little verdure.

No comments:

Post a Comment