Sunday, May 31, 2009

ALL ABOUT JACOB


Still in High School, he came to visit Puck's Glen Farm with his parents and little sister. Just a young boy really. Still asking for his dad to "flutter" him when he went to bed, which is, from what I could tell, a movement of raising the sheet high above the bed and letting it float down settling on the occupant.
I ask him to climb the ladder to change a light bulb for me, and upon completion, I said your hired. "Really, could I come work for you!". It was a done deal.
He came to me that summer, totally disarming me. Here was this young man, who loved to sit out on the porch with these old folks in the evening and watch the world of the farm slip into darkness. He saw his first fire fly, learned to mulch, dig, hoe, the difference between a weed and a wanted plant and drive the tractor. He help build the first shed, and made a lasting friendship with the man I got him a part time job with. I don't know if I have ever met such an open person before. No defenses, no large ego, confident, but humble, not to mention thoughtful and sweet.
He is back for a repeat this summer. He is more mature to be sure, but not much else has changed. He is still that open lovely man that I got to experience the first summer. It is bittersweet in the garden with him this year, as I know his life journey will take him on a road that will not allow for these litttle summer detours any more. He will marry, finish college, go on to graduate school, you know have a life. For right now though, I can share the joy of him learning to drive Big Blue Bertha the dump truck, watch him learn to do some woodwork with Frank, and know he will leave behind a legacy, here on the farm, where ever he has moved a stone, planted a tree, or placed an urn.

2 comments:

  1. This is a totally sweet entry about Jacob. I have to admit that I was in tears as I read it. It is so great that Jacob has you and Frank. He loves you both and really thinks of you as "second parents". I hope you know that you have captured his heart and now you will never be out of his radar even when the summer is over and he does go on to "his life". His life has been so enriched by both of you and I feel grateful for the wonderful way in which you have opened your home to him. He has learned so much being there on the farm. And that thoughtful, sweet person that he always has been since birth will now be watching over you as you slip into old age. I know this because he has told me how much you both mean to him and I know you will always be able to count on him. It gives me a lot of joy that he cares so deeply for two people that I also love. Thank you for loving him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, This is such a lovely, tender post. I have these same bitter-sweet feelings right now as I watch my Amanda preparing to leave our home for college. I know our lives are getting ready to change forever - and I'm not prepared. Everything is suddenly much more important to watch and to listen and to savor. Wouldn't it be nice if we could bottle up these shimmery days somehow, so that on our rainy-life days, we could remove the lid and re-live each treasured moment? Perhaps this is why I love to write and journal so much - because acknowledging the gifts of each day, and writing them down provides a bit of permanance that warms the soul.

    Sending hugs to everyone on the farm - Holly

    ReplyDelete