Monday, March 23, 2009

March Winds


The winds are strong from the North today, turning a bright sunny day to cold and blustery.  The mulch I have been spreading has that fabulous earthy smell that I love.  The birch trees where I am spreading it will thank me this summer when their roots find some shelter under the shade of the cover in the hot sun.  
The little Greigii tulips tucked into the south slope of the front garden are starting to open. Rather brave I would say, given todays chill.
The Goldfish and Koi are starting to circle the top of the pond looking for food, they are up off the bottom they inhabit all winter.  I will have to keep close watch on the herons.
The wild Turkeys are starting to feed on the edges of the fields.  The males are all made up ready to attract the females, who at this moment don't seem to notice them.  I would sure like to know where they hide out in the winter.  I never hear or see them in the underbrush of the leafless hedgerows.  
There is a tinge of red along the borders of the woods, the maple trees are in blossom and soon the door to the bee hive will be dusted with red paint from the pollen.


1 comment:

  1. You are a good writer. I feel like I am there when I read this. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Looking forward to your visit tomorrow. You will have to go to my little yoga class with me on Monday, 6 am. I still have your little coffee thing. Cleaned your bedroom today - changed the sheets etc. You will be in Emily's old room. That way you will have a bathroom to yourself. See you tomorrow. L. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete